Q: Car sputters in every gear after 1st, won't accelerate as quickly, and has a solid check engine light.

asked by on September 03, 2017

While car is idling or in neutral there are no weird noises or sputters, once put in 1st gear everything is normal no noises , lights, or sputters. Upon shifting into 2nd and hitting 2,000 - 2,500 rpm the car sputters, while sputtering it will not accelerate as quickly and will also jerk almost as if it wants to stall but it doesn't. Occasionally shifting into 3rd gear will solve this problem and the car with continue on with no problems at all. Sometimes shifting into 3rd won't fix it and the car will continue to sputter while driving, it won't go as fast as normal, and will also feel like it wants to stall. The most recent time it did this the check engine light came on but it was solid not flashing. Turning the car off and on again turned the check engine light off but the car still continues to sputter. I'm not too sure what this could be, but I know it can't be good so I was smart enough to pull over each time it happens before possible significant damage could be done.

The first thing to check for in any drivability problem is air leaks. Any air that gets into the engine without being measured will lean out the system and cause problems. Look at all the rubber hoses and boots under the hood to be sure they are well connected and in good condition. Any other issues will not be so easily visible. But one measure that you should take is to be sure to catch up on the service items: plugs, filters, things like that. If those things are up to date, then you can start to suspect other component malfunctions. The check engine light tells you that there are codes stored in the Control Unit that can help with the diagnosis. These codes can be read by a technician with the appropriate scan tool. There are probably misfire codes from the sputtering, and there may be other codes that can help indicate what components may be failing. If you cant come up with anything in these simple checks, Contact YourMechanic to have a technician come out to your home or office to check out your sputtering Hyundai and recommend your next steps.