2002 odessey running thru 5 quarts of oil a day tachomete...

Q: 2002 odessey running thru 5 quarts of oil a day tachometer stopped working and now engine light oil light traction control light.

asked by on May 24, 2017

car stopped running last week, i changed the starter and now i go thru about 5 quarts of oil a day. the engine light the oil light and the traction control light are all on. The tachometer stopped working last week as well. There is a very loud low grinding sound that comes from the front of the car when braking and while driving, I am assuming new brakes and rotters. I also noticed that the radiator fluid was a dark brown and had slimmy chunks inside it. Ihalf fast flushed it, added more and it is brown again

If the oil is not running out under the car, it has to be going somewhere, and that somewhere is most likely out the tailpipe. But 5 quarts a day would produce such clouds of smoke that you wouldn’t be able to see anything behind you and you didn’t mention that. If that much oil were getting into your cooling system as you seem to be suggesting, the system would quickly overflow. So I wonder if you might be trying to maintain too high a level in the crankcase. The engine only holds about 5 quarts of oil, and if the level gets too high, the oil gets churned up by the moving parts and causes all kinds of problems. As for the warning lights, they may be related. I suggest you stop driving the car until you can have it checked out by a pro. You can have that conveniently done by contacting Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your Honda and let you know what would be the best next steps.