Q: Gasoline smell in car

I just had a new engine put into my 2012 GMC Terrain a week ago. The old engine blew and oil leaked out the bottom. Anyway, I got my car back with new engine but now the car has a strong smell of gasoline. Why?

You have to first exclude the possibility that the shop somehow spilled gasoline in the interior of the vehicle and/or sat in the car with gas on their clothes or placed any gas contaminated "stuff" (rags) in the vehicle or even under hood (gas soaked rag under the hood). It might seem odd to begin the "analysis" there but you do have to begin with the simplest possibilities. If you’re sure the odor is not from the inside, or from contaminated detritus, what you have is a gasoline leak (liquid and/or vapor) which is potentially catastrophic. Obviously, do not park the car in a garage or even in a setting where "vapors" could pool in a low depression and ignite.

The shop is likely on the hook to resolve the issue because, as you can imagine, it probably stems from faulty reconnection of the fuel system to the engine. The fault could be in any of a large number of joints, tubes, o-rings, and so forth. Try to first resolve it with the shop. Unfortunately, if the Shop won’t do it cooperatively, due to the risks that attend fuel leaks, you’ll just have to get it repaired. If you would like a second opinion from YourMechanic and/or want a certified mechanic to investigate and simply repair the fault, I recommend you request a fuel leak diagnostic. As you wend your way through this unfortunate issue, if additional questions or concerns arise, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

3. Gasoline smell in car