Q: Stiff steering wheel and battery light on

The steering wheel became very stiff to the point where I could hardly turn it. Also my battery light came on and I had put a new battery in 5 months ago. There is also a crackling noise coming from the right side front tire. I discovered that I had no bearing in the extension arm. Could this be causing the problem with my power steering and do I need to add power steering fluid?

The wheel bearing is an important part of the suspension as it holds the weight of the vehicle and allows the wheel to turn. If it has failed, then it should be replaced as soon as possible. With the steering wheel being stiff there are a few potential causes, such as the power steering pump failure, low on power steering fluid, or a steering rack failure. A qualified technician will be able to diagnose your stiff steering wheel and perform the correct repairs.

3. Stiff steering wheel and battery light on