Q: Car overheats when idling only

My car overheats when I am idling. The fan does not seem to be working. The fan moves freely and is not jammed. I think the thermostat or fan switch needs replacing.

The cooling fan clutch on this engine requires the hot air flowing across the radiator to lock up the clutch when it starts getting hot. Some of these vehicle’s radiators have a leak, or flow problem, that will cause the fan clutch to not engage the way it should. Sometimes, the fan clutches are just bad. The radiator would need to be checked to ensure proper flow and heat dissipation throughout the radiator, without any blockage. I recommend that you have a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your AC system to confirm whether the fan, the radiator, or both, are an issue on your vehicle.

3. Q: Car overheats when idling only