Q: Can a steering wheel lock up because there is a problem with the battery or alternator

Can a steering wheel lock up where you cannot turn or steer due to a problem with an alternator or a battery also there was a brand new battery in the vechile. Thankyou, Sharon D.

Hello Sharon, thanks for writing in. The power steering can and absolutely will go out if the alternator or battery fails while driving. Lets break it down. The alternator is powered off of the engine, and it then supplies the vehicle with power when driving. The battery is relatively useless during running, as it is only there to charge in order to start the vehicle once it has been turned off. It does however complete the charging circuit for the alternator and will cause issues if it has failed. Now, when it comes to the power steering system, if the alternator fails to supply the vehicle with electrical power, the power steering pump will fail, and you will lose hydraulic pressure needed for assisting in steering. You will also lose many other systems in the vehicle. For help with the system, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Can a steering wheel lock up because there is a problem with the battery or alternator