Q: Whining noise from frnt pass side of jeep driving down the road. Not bearing, brakes, Any ideas?

asked by on May 24, 2017

Whine from frnt pass tire driving dwn the road. Sounds exactly like wheel bearing but mechanic says it's fine. When first noticed, sound was on/off sumtime bump wld strt/stp it. Its not brakes. I don't know enough about it to figure it out myself. Could low differential fluid cause a whine like that? I wish I could give more details but I don't know how else to describe it.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. A good visual inspection should be able to rule out any obvious components rubbing or a dragging brake. If you know the wheel bearings are fine and well packed with oil, then you do want to turn your attention to the differential and the transmission. Start by changing the differential fluid, as it is likely 15 years old. If that does not work, look to the transmission. Make sure the fluid is clean and full. For a second opinion and another inspection, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.