Q: Loss of power when accelerating and burning smell.

For the last while my car has occasionally given off the scent of burning gasoline; it was faint but I knew it was there. I have little knowledge of vehicles but I did what I know how to do. I checked and adjusted the engine oil levels, transmission fluid levels, and coolant levels. This evening after performing such tasks, my car had a sudden loss of power. I could accelerate to 30mph before my car would begin surging and the rpm gauge was erratic; fluctuating all over the place. I have no idea what is wrong and would like some insight before being charged a fortune for repairs.

Mass Airflow Sensor Replacement $171.84 - $740.29 Get a Quote

Hi There, This may be related to a faulty throttle position sensor or potentially a dirty or failing mass air flow sensor. The mass air flow sensor monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. This sensor relays vital information to the ECM which uses this to make adjustments to fuel supply to the motor. A dirty or faulty sensor can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which results in an over fueling or under fueling situation depending on the conditions. This type of inconsistent fuel supply to the motor may cause a hesitation, loss of power, a jerking reaction, potentially a bit of black exhaust smoke and typically a strong smell of fuel when this sensor is malfunctioning. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.