Q: Changed battery in kia Rio 2010, it won't start at all now. Engine light turns on at random times as well.

asked by on June 19, 2017

Bout two months ago the engine light came on and it came back off again, I brushed it off as possibly faulty wiring or something making it go off incorrectly. So then bout 6 weeks ago the car start making a weird noise, I needed to do some things but had to wait for my paycheck to get the stuff done, two days ago I changed the spark plugs, the noise was toned down quite a bit but started again, oh and the car had been running on low power but not of a difference that it'll affect my whole drive. So I changed the battery and it was running just fine. I had started the car it ran fine. Drove 25 miles, still fine. After my gf started the car and it ran for a while again, few hours later I'm driving another 25 miles back home. I get out my car. Go inside do few things, get my keys to smoke a CIG and the car won't start anymore. It'll have glimpses of moments when it wants to turn on but it won't hold a charge anymore even though it did. Its been less than 24 hours since installation.

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

If you request a no/hard starting - engine diagnostic the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you promptly. The battery should be tested to determine its state of charge. If the new battery is in fact discharged, and thus the car won’t even crank now, there are couple possible causes including that the charging system is not working properly and/or there is a parasitic (excess) load on the car’s electrical circuits that might be causing the battery to discharge. The engine light issue will be evaluated by the mechanic who will use a scanner to check code history (there might be stored codes that will provide clues). If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr