Q: So hard to fill the tank, gas pump always shuts off

You know that little “click” noise you hear when the gas pump stops putting gas in your tank because it’s full? Well what if that happened every 20 seconds and you then dreaded every time you had to fill the tank? That is my reality thanks to my 2008 Jeep Patriot. So disappointed. What a stupid problem. How do I even fix this?

The click noise you are hearing is the fuel backing up in the fill tube and causing the pump handle to turn off as a safety precaution to keep fuel from coming out and spilling or getting you covered in fuel. The pump handle safety was intended to prevent you from overfilling your tank. In your case you have a fuel tank that is not venting quick enough and causing your fuel back up problem. Your fuel tank has a two part tank with a crossover tube that equalizes the two parts of your tank. If the crossover tube or the fuel tank vent on top of the fuel tank is defective or damaged will cause the issue you are having. There is a recall on some newer models of the Patriot for this exact problem you are having and the dealer is replacing defective tanks. My advice is to have your tank inspected by YourMechanic for a damaged or defective fuel tank by having the crossover tube checked for proper operation and damages and the vents on top of the tanks checked for proper venting or damage during original installation.