Q: Power steering warning came on?

Tried to use wipers this morning, warning light came on that said "power steering" then wipers wouldn't work. Drove it to work, came out after work and wipers worked and the warning wasn't showing anymore. I'd like to know what it could possibly be. There is no whining noise when i turn the wheels to indicate anything is wrong with my steering. I am aware now that Chevy Cobalts have electric steering and do not take power steering fluid.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. I'd be...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy to provide my insight. This is a common issue in the Chevy Cobalt. The electrical system on modern cars is very sensitive and everything needs to be working nearly perfect in order for the check engine lights not to come on and this includes even having a strong battery. I would recommend having the battery tested as even a weak battery can cause issues like this. I would also recommend having the car computer scanned at the same time to see if any trouble codes show up which may indicate potential problems elsewhere.

If you would like help inspecting your battery or electrical system, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect your vehicle for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.