Q: What does the anti-lock Brake System (ABS) warning light mean?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What does the anti-lock Brake System (ABS) warning light mean?

There are several important lights in your dash, including the anti-lock brake system (ABS) warning light. This light should come on briefly when you crank the engine, but it should turn off after completing a short self-test. If the light does not turn off within a few seconds or it comes on when driving, it can indicate several things. Here’s what you should know:

1. If the ABS light comes on while driving, it can indicate a problem with the ABS system itself and you should have it inspected.

2. If the ABS system is not working correctly, you will still have normal braking. Only the ABS system is disabled.

Tip

If both the ABS and brake lights are on, it can also indicate a problem with the ABS system.