Q: I've 60K on front brake pads. They're not squealing/no metal rubbing and are at 6/32nds. Should they still be replaced?

asked by on September 19, 2016

I'm getting conflicting opinions from the shop. They is minor rotor warpage (.003-.004) at higher speeds and/or when I travel a long distance and the brakes are 'hot'. When is the right time to replace?

Hello there, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to offer my insight on this.

The correct time to replace the rotors on a vehicle will depend on many factors including driving conditions and mileage. If there is no noticeable squeal, rubbing noise, or vibrations from the brakes then I would not worry to much about the issue. Even if there is minor warpage, as long as it does not cause excessive vibration in the pedal or steering wheel then you are probably okay. If the issue does cause vibrations, then I would consider replacing the rotors and pads as well.

If you would like help replacing the rotors or pads, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to replace them for you, or inspect your car for other potential issues.

Hope this helps and best of luck!