Q: Engine overheating light on

The engine overheating light is on. It looks like the temperature light without the waves underneath, and a siren goes off.

Hi there. Many components make up your cooling system. If any of these components are not functioning properly, it will cause your vehicle to overheat. If your vehicle is not leaking, any coolant changes are that your radiator fan(s) are not turning on when a certain operating temperature is reached. Also, if your vehicle has a blown head gasket it will cause the vehicle to not receive sufficient cooling operations. The water pump may be leaking or not functioning properly also leading to poor or no circulation of coolant through your engine. Also, your thermostat which allows coolant to pass through your engine may be stuck in a closed position. This blockage of coolant flow will not allow coolant to cycle through your engine causing it to overheat. I would suggest having a certified mechanic diagnose your overheating issue in person to determine what fixes are needed.

3. Engine overheating light on