Q: My car has just started overheating but has never gone pass the 250 degree mark on the dashboard

asked by on July 26, 2017

Today i took a long drive (1-2 hours) and me engine started to overheat. Message popped up on the screen saying its over heating and engine power got very very low. After about 30 second the message went away and the engine power came back but it did happen about 3 or 4 times. Temp never went above 250 degrees, though its hit exactly at 250 degrees or just under it when the message would pop up

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle goes into "limp mode", or your model’s version of, when it is at risk of becoming damaged. This is a good thing, and it will protect your engine from having worse issues down the line. Due to it happening several times, it is likely something in your cooling system has failed. You will want to check for diagnostic codes, which may indicate where the problem is stemming from. If not, you want to look into the water pump, engine temperature sensors, the thermostat, and the level of the coolant. Resolve any issues found and resort to further testing if needed. For more help from our technicians, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.