Q: Oil change question - 2014 Chevrolet Malibu

asked by on November 22, 2016

I have a 2014 Chevy Malibu with approx. 36000 miles. My oil light has hit 0% about 120 miles ago. I have an appointment with the dealer to do an oil change in 2 days. I have been told I can drive it up To 1000 miles after the light shows 0%. Is that true?

Can I add a quart of oil to get me through until Friday or is it bad to mix new and old oil?

Change Oil and Filter $92.43 - $157.60 Get a Quote

The "Oil Life" system or "maintenance minder" does not provide "absolutes" when it comes to the timing of oil changes. In fact, there are more variables affecting the "optimum change" interval than are considered by such systems. For example, the "oil life" system does not "know" if you are using lousy oil or the best, most expensive and longest lived 100% synthetic oil. So, the "oil life" reminder is more of a guide. Having said that, going 1,000 miles past the point at which the system says to change the oil (whether using good oil or not) is not only NOT recommended but you should really change the engine oil before the reminder says to do so.

Oil collects lots of dirt and combustion by products and the chemical additive package in the oil does wear out. Consequently, if you intend to keep the car longer than "average", change the oil "somewhat" more frequently than the manufacturer recommends. Also, consider the use of synthetic oil which may have a beneficial effect on the service life of the engine and does promote cleaner engine operation. Conventional mineral oil has contaminants that synthetic oil does not. As you may know, YourMechanic offers professional mobile oil and filter changes which will save you money and provide personalized service during which other questions, or concerns, you have about your car can be addressed.