Q: Passenger side rear mirror and gas cap

asked by on September 21, 2016

My check engine light is on. I'm pretty sure it's the gas cap because I have trouble getting it on and off. I want to buy a new one and have you install it. What is the best gas cap to buy for a 1997 Ford Explorer. I already bought one from O'Reilly's but it's very difficult to take off (and I never did hear a click). I also need to have my left passenger rear view mirror replaced. I already have the replacement but I thought it best to take care of both issues in one visit. One more thing, I bought the mirror from PartsGeek--for some reason I like them other than the fact that they ship stuff very quickly. Help. Thanks.

Gas Cap Replacement $87.91 - $199.69 Get a Quote
Door Mirror Replacement $153.11 - $991.61 Get a Quote

Hello, thanks for writing in. I would recommend buying a replacement gas cap from factory Ford as these are typically engineered much better than many of the aftermarket companies. Regarding your Check Engine Light, you should have this checked at the time of the gas cap installation to be sure that there are not other issues causing this to come on. If you would like to have this all taken care of for you, YourMechanic can source the correct parts for your gas cap and door mirror replacements and can perform these services at your home or office.