Q: How bad is it to repair a ball joint and CV axle?

asked by on November 03, 2016

Trying to figure out how much of a pain it would be to repair this. Passenger side front control arm broke at the ball joint which caused brake line leak from under the car I also need to replace the cv axle due to a tear in the boot by the control arm.

You are looking at a lengthy repair. There are several components that will need to be replaced. It is hard to say how rough the removal and installation of these parts will be, because the amount of damage that has been done will determine exactly what needs to be replaced. At the least you are looking at removing the front tire, control arm, ball joint, part of the axle that includes the boot, and the brake line. With the brake line will come bleeding the brakes. The axle can be hard if you have never done it before, and you want to make sure you have step by step instructions with manufacturer specifications. The ball joint, control arm, and tire are pretty straight forward. You will want to make sure you have all the tools you need ahead of time. I suggest having a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, help replace your axle.