Q: Car wont turn over.

asked by on February 09, 2017

I installed a new battery today and car wont start. The starter doesn't even turn over. Prior to installing new battery when I boosted it the car started and would work fine for a couple days. Then it would be just completely dead. All lights and horn works fine. Could it be the alternator?

Starter Replacement $154.22 - $1141.96 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Be sure the battery is fully charged. "New" batteries are not necessarily fully charged at time of sale. Of course, confirm that the engine immobilizer system (security system) is not activated thus preventing the car from starting. Basically, with the key held in the "start" position, the starter is either getting power or it isn’t so the first test is to hold the key in the "start" position and test for power to the starter motor. If there is no power, then the electrical circuit supplying the motor has a fault. That circuit begins at the battery and includes grounds, wiring (some of which is very heavy cabling), fuses, relays, the ignition switch and terminations. On the other hand, with the key in the "start" position, if the starter motor is getting power but the starter doesn’t work, the starter is condemned and replaced. If you desire that a certified mechanic resolve this, please simply request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get the problem diagnosed and repaired for you. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.