Q: I have a high pitch whine off and on but stops when I accelerate. What is that? How much to fix?

asked by on March 07, 2017

I have a high pitch whine off and on but stops when I accelerate. Sounds like a fan or belt but they have been checked. I was told it was my power steering going out. I , don't know what to think. My brakes are good to. Do you have any idea what is going on?

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The power steering pump can certainly be a source of noise, as can a number of other components. Bearings can sometimes make a high pitched noise when they are worn. The alternator, air conditioner compressor, belt tensioner, and water pump are all components underhood which have bearings that can fail and make noise. The belt itself can make noise - even a good belt - if the crankshaft pulley, belt tensioner pulley, or the pulley on any of the other components I listed are bad or out of alignment. Since a number of components can be the source, have a certified technician look into the noise underhood. A qualified technician with the right tools will be able to find the exact cause.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr