Q: My car won't start

asked by on May 12, 2016

My car won't turn over. The car was running well, and then I let it sit for a couple weeks and now it won't turnover. Sometimes when I would be driving, it would turn off when I went over speed bumps, but I am not sure if that is related. The car barely starts, and then it dies. I replaced the fuel pump and timing belt about 21,000 miles ago. I tried starter fluid and that got it going momentarily only. Any ideas?

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Generally, the most common cause of a no start is the battery. Other causes are the fuel pump, starter, ignition switch, and the neutral safety switch. With the car turning off over speed bumps, that actually sounds completely related. That to me points to an intermittent electrical issue such as the fuel pump wiring damaged. If you want to have the issue verified by a qualified mechanic, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your car’s starting issue and make any repairs that are necessary.