Q: How do I know if I have a bad starter or a bad ignition actuator? Sometimes when I turn the key the starter doesn't work.

How do I know if I have a bad starter or a bad ignition actuator. Sometimes when I turn the key the starter doesn't work. I have replaced the ignition switch an it made no difference. One thing I noticed is that the steering wheel never locks. Because this is a 2005 Jeep the ignition actuator is different that a 2004 and cost 10x the price. Thanks for a reply.

3. How do I know if I have a bad starter or a bad ignition actuator? Sometimes when I turn the key the starter doesn't work.