Q: My engine light came on approximately 10 months ago. I had a diagnostic test ran on it. It stated that I needed a TCM.

I have driven the car very little. My dilemma is I don't have big lump sums of funds. I have been researching the issue trying to pursue a reasonable ave. As I discover more about the TCM, I see that it is part of the ECM engine control module. My main question is how would you advise me to get this problem corrected in a fairly affordable manner? And do you think a pick and pull part is feasible at all? Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for listening

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. The tracti...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. The traction control module is a part of the ECM, but usually is a separate component from the main control module. The best way to solve the issue is to have a professional mechanic install a NEW TCM. Installing a used one from a pick-and-pull is NOT a good idea; as it may not fit correctly or have communication errors with your vehicles ECM. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect your check engine light for you, and help you make any necessary repairs needed.