Q: Transmission gets stuck when I shift it out of 1st gear sometimes and it takes a lot of force for me to move the shifter 2013 Dodge Viper

asked by on February 04, 2017

i own a dodge viper and my gear shifter sometimes gets stuck when i try getting it out of first and it takes a lot of force for me to move it either back into first or out of first, what could be the cause of this? note: The issue doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes.

Hi there - your Viper uses the Tremec TR-6060 transmission, which handles the torque from the Vipers engine reliably, but is a bit balky in the shifting department. Using synthetic transmission fluid will help, especially in colder climates, and moving the shifter into 1st while still in motion will help (it uses a 3-cone synchronizer for 1st gear, so motion actually helps engagement). Break-in and some miles should help here, but it’s a bit of a horse. Enjoy!

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr