Q: My car makes a noise when starting like winning noise upon start. It looks like it is coming from the drive belt area

asked by on August 27, 2017

My car makes a noise when starting like winning noise upon start. It looks like it is coming from the drive belt area. Sometimes once it is running the winning is still there and coming from the belt area. I have a 2005 Porsche 911

Water Pump Replacement $172.27 - $1183.89 Get a Quote
Alternator Replacement $151.62 - $1237.14 Get a Quote

There are a couple of things that usually will produce a whining noise from the drive belt area. A failing water pump will produce a whining noise, which will typically be accompanied by overheating or coolant leaking as a result. A bad alternator will also produce a bit of a whining noise, also resulting in a drop in amperage, which may be noticed by the battery light indicator coming on in the dash in addition to low battery voltage. I would suggest having a professional from Yourmechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your Porsche.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr