Q: when I put my car in drive it won't go but when I put it in low gear and up the RPM its will slowly take off then I have to shift

I have to put it in 1low gear then raise motor then its takes off. It also shakes sometime.the shaking started in reverse then after a week or so it started it in drive. But it won't catch a gear in drive. I have to take off from one n shift up. Then once it get up speed I put it in 3rd gear or drive n it rides out.

Hello. The transmission malfunctions you are experiencing can be caused by a wide variety of issues. A few common causes for improper shifting behavior are low or contaminated transmission fluid, transmission sensor issues, or a worn transmission. The first thing I would do is check the vehicle’s transmission fluid to make sure that it is clean and at the correct level. Automatic transmissions operate using fluid pressure and can experience all sorts of issues, including problems shifting, if the fluid is low or dirty. It may also be possible that one or more the transmission components has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Automatic transmission use a series of solenoids and sensors to control the transmission shifting point, and can cause symptoms similar to those you are experiencing if they go bad. Another possibility is that the transmission itself has worn out due to age and service, and may need to be serviced or even rebuilt. As these sorts of issues can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine what the exact cause of your shifting and transmission problems.

• when I put my car in drive it won't go but when I put it in low gear and up the RPM its will slowly take off then I have to shift