Q: On interstate, after 15-20 seconds car loses acceleration

I had been driving at highway speeds for around 15-20 minutes when, (within 5 seconds) the yellow engine overheating warning light came on and then immediately turned to red. All acceleration power was lost and my car’s speed started dropping slowly. I tried the accelerator but it would not respond. With no acceleration, I had to cross three traffic lanes which almost caused several accidents. My car rolled to a stop on the highway. I turned the car off and waited for several minutes; then everything seemed fine. However, this same thing has now happened multiple times. Each time it has happened, I had been driving on the highway for 15-20 minutes. What is causing this and what should I do to fix it?

A: Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 200...

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 2007 BMW 335xi. It sounds like the thermostat may be sticking. The thermostat needs to be checked and the cooling system needs to be checked to make sure that the coolant is flowing properly. If there are no leaks, then I would replace the thermostat first and do a block test to make sure that there is not damage to the engine. If you want to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the acceleration issue and let you know what needs to be done.