Q: My car surges forward after I hit the brakes

My 2014 Kia Optima is still very much within the “new car” territory with only 8,000 miles on it so far. I am hesitant to put more miles on it now, as I have been having a problem with the car lurching forward every time I brake to a complete stop from road speed (35 mph or more). I thought it was the brakes, but I was slow to apply the brake and the whole car darted forward! I nearly had an accident and now I do not want this car. Is there a reliable way to get this to stop? I want a new car that feels like a new car!

There seem to be a number of these complaints popping up, though there haven’t been any verified repairs made. Your best course of action is to take the vehicle to the local Kia dealer (as this may be a warranty claim) and explain what happened in detail. Include when and how it happens and if it has happened on more than one occasion. Problems like this can be tricky to diagnose; it could be anything from an electrical issue to a floor mat wedged under the pedals. If you feel that this is a serious safety concern, you can also file a complaint with the NTSB, and they can investigate and compare to similar concerns.