Q: Car won't start, latching noise

When I turn the key in the ignition, I noticed a latching noise but the starter seems to be unresponsive. I had the battery checked and it has power. The starter is alsmost new and has been tested. All the electrical components are working in the vehicle. I had the fuses checked. The car cannot be started. What should I do?

A: If when turning the key you hear a loud cli...

If when turning the key you hear a loud click or latching noise, that may be the starter gear kicking out to contact the engine flywheel in an attempt to start. Test the battery while trying to start the vehicle. If the battery drops below 10 volts during starting, replace the battery. If battery voltage seems somewhat unaffected, replace the starter. The starter should demand a decent load on the battery during starting and the battery should test strong enough to be able to power the starter. If you need some help with these checks, get some help from a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, who can diagnose your starting issue and help you fix it accordingly.