Q: Rough idle, stalls when accelerating, engine shuts down while driving with no fault codes.

The car idles rough. When accelerating, the engine hesitates to accelerate. That is, the throttle does not respond seamlessly to your request, making driving somewhat rough.

The worst part of it though is that the engine can just shutoff while driving, with the dashboard lights coming on and no check engine or fault codes. The car can be restarted immediately though. It normally occurs when the Air Condition is on (surprisingly it occurred today without the AC being on) irrespective of driving speed (both at high and low speeds) making driving VERY RISKY!

The plugs and oil have been changed. OBD Scan presently shows P0128, P0420, P0430. I also have videos of live-stream of engine parameters from the scanner which I can send if needed.

The car is an American spec but I am using it in Nigeria.

Your advice will be highly appreciated

Thanks.

Paul

Hi there. The issue is the coolant thermostat temperature sensor. The sensor is malfunctioning causing the computer (ECM) to think that the engine is either too cold or too hot and causing the fuel mixture to be off. I recommend replacing the coolant temperature sensor. If you need further assistance with your stalling issue, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Rough idle, stalls when accelerating, engine shuts down while driving with no fault codes.