Q: Car will not shift and stalls - 2016 Subaru WRX

After purchasing my car this year, I only had nearly 600 miles on it when I started having problems with the clutch and transmission. I was leaving the highway and shifted out of 6th gear. Then I was about to shift into 3rd while driving through an intersection and it would not shift into any gear; it was stuck in neutral and I had the clutch pedal completely depressed. I then pulled over to the side of the street, turned off the car and then restarted it before the transmission would go into gear.

Next, the problem occurred again at 3500 miles. I was driving on the highway having to shift from 5th into 6th. Pressing the clutch I shifted out of 5th and it would not shift into 6th or into any gear at all. I got on the shoulder of the highway and it just would not shift into any gear. Turned off the car and began to restart the car, with transmission in neutral. When I released the clutch, the car stalled. Then, I put it into 1st and pressed the clutch and the car started. But when it started, it lunged/jerked forward. I got back on the highway and immediately went to the dealership. They couldn’t do anything until replicating the problem and the problem wouldn’t happen for them! Since this last time, I started smelling a strong burning smell when at low speeds and shifting from 1st to 2nd and also when cruising highway speeds in 6th gear.

Around 1,000 miles later it happened again, but this time (at 35 mph) in addition to not being able to shift into any gear, the clutch pedal would not come up all the way. Before the clutch would come up all the way, I had to press it several times and then it went into gear. During this time I could smell the burning smell. I went back to the dealership and once again, the problem would not happen for them so they won’t do a thing. Please tell me what is causing this and what is your advice how it can be fixed. Thank you.

A: Hey there. Considering the burning smell, t...

Hey there. Considering the burning smell, there may be a problem in the hydraulic circuit of the clutch system. A failing clutch master or slave cylinder can cause the problems you are having. To have this diagnosed more thoroughly, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the shifting and stalling problem to have this addressed correctly.