Q: hello Brandon my name is Marie,I have a 2005 pontiac bonniville gxp Im having crankshaft issues and oxygen sensors

asked by on August 05, 2017

hello Brandon my name is Marie,I have a 2005 pontiac bonniville gxp, i went to Oreillys and had a diag. test that showed i need to replace crankshaft sensorp1372. I would like to know were it is located on the car and whats the cost to replace it. I have been having a oil leak from the oil pan gaskets for about a year now, no 1 I have spoken to can tell me how to fix this problem and the cost. Thank you for your time.

Hi Marie: With regard to the code P1372 that was downloaded, there are many potential malfunctions that will cause P1372 to set in addition to the crankshaft position sensor itself being faulty. And, if the sensor itself is suspected as the cause of the code, the waveform output of the sensor must be read on an automotive scope for confirmation. Code P1372 will set if the wiring to a perfectly good sensor simply has a fault or is disconnected. Also, a faulty Ignition Control Module can cause P1372 to set. So, at this juncture, unless the sensor is directly tested, per the factory instructions, it is simply a guess that the part is faulty. If you desire that the sensor be tested for confirmation and, if failed, replaced please refer to YourMechanic’s crankshaft position sensor service page which page will also give you the repair cost information that you desire.

Oil pan gasket replacement on your model is fairly routine. If you refer to YourMechanic’s Oil pan gasket replacement service page and click on "Get a Quote", you will obtain an instant, detailed cost estimate for this repair on your vehicle. The responding certified mechanic will also check for oil leaks elsewhere and advise you as to the inspection results. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.