Q: light smell of gas - 2016 Hyundai Elantra

asked by on September 03, 2016

a couple of separate times I noticed a smell of gas from outside near the cap when car is idle, no smell coming from the front hood and no noticeable leakage or dripping whatsoever, smell can only be smelled from outside, it's light and and usually fades shortly after turning off. I have the a/c on most of the time for what its worth and it doesn't bring any odor inside.

Smell in the car Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi. It sounds like you are getting a gas vapor odor from a fuel tank venting system. The system is supposed to store the fumes in a carbon canister, and if excessive pressure builds up, this will vent to this canister. You should have the system checked for leaks of vapor.