Q: Car loses power uphill, makes clanking sound - 1995 Chevrolet Corsica

My car has gone 190,000 miles. I have difficulty driving the car uphill as it loses power so I cannot go past 35 mph. It would also make some loud "clank" sounds ocassionally. Is the engine going out? What do you think?

Hey there. You don’t mention the conditions under which the "clank" occurs - while accelerating, cornering, braking, etc., but I would have a professional mechanic like YourMechanic check out your vehicle. Loss of power could be a clogged catalytic converter, clogged fuel filter, low compression or other high-mileage wear issue. The mechanic should also check for any problem codes. If you want to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the loss of power and perform the correct repairs.

• Car loses power uphill, makes clanking sound - 1995 Chevrolet Corsica