Q: What type of power steering system is used?

What type of power steering system is used?

While many cars still use a conventional hydraulic power steering system, yours doesn’t. It actually uses an electronic power assisted steering (EPAS) system. This means that you don’t have to worry about checking power steering fluid, and you do not have a power steering pump on the engine. However, there are a few things you need to know about using this system correctly:

• If the battery dies while you’re driving or if the key is turned to the off position, power steering is disabled. You can steer manually, but it will require more effort.

• During extreme driving conditions, you may notice the wheel is harder to turn than usual. This is normal. The system is trying to prevent overheating.

Tip

You may notice your steering wheel “wandering” if you have a tire low on air, with uneven tire wear, if your suspension is badly worn, or if you need an alignment performed.

3. What type of power steering system is used?