Q: Car is making a squealing sound

Recently, my car has begun to make a squealing sound whenever it is running. It runs just fine and the noise is tolerable, but is my car getting damaged?

Chances are, if you hear a squealing noise, something has become worn out or is very close to wearing out. My experience has taught me that the most common culprit is a worn-out serpentine belt. These belts are made of rubber and over time, that rubber can crack and dry out. This will cause the belt to rub on the pulleys, which generates that squeaking sound. If you have not changed your serpentine belt before, or if it’s been more than a year since it was last replaced, I suggest you have the serpentine belt inspected for wear by a qualified mechanic at YourMechanic.