Q: 99 escort--smell gas inside car and trunk--dont see leaks--possible evap system problem?

asked by on July 21, 2017

i smell gas inside car and trunk after parked and not running...don't see any leak underhood or under car anywhere..took out back seat to see fuel pump..no smell there and no evidence of leaking at pump seal to gas tank...could it be an EVAP system problem..?

Hi there. Typically when an EVAP system component fails or is damaged, it will cause performance problems, issues filling the fuel tank or other symptoms with the operation of the vehicle. If you are not having these problems, it’s likely that you have a fuel line leak. It’s probably a good idea to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a fuel leak inspection.