Q: Car has intermittent acceleration problems - 2001 BMW 325

My car is having intermittent problems with acceleration which usually happen from stop or slow speed to trying to pick up speed. It has a feeling like the fuel is not getting through. When I took it to the repair shop, the mechanic could not duplicate the problem and he did not get any codes. The problem is getting progressively worse. I already paid for the diagnosis but have no fix in sight. I want to avoid just replacing parts without knowing what is causing this. Could you please give me suggestions on what my first step should be in finding the cause?

A: There are a couple of places to start looki...

There are a couple of places to start looking. The proper fuel pressure is required for good performance and a technician can check fuel pressure to see it if is low which will point to a clogged fuel filter or failing fuel pump. If the spark plugs have not been replaced on the proper schedule, this can lead to poor performance and misfires. The technician can pull out a couple of spark plugs and check them out. At the same time air filters and basic maintenance items should be looked at first before claiming a large mechanical failure. If you would like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office and perform an "slow acceleration inspection".