Q: Bottom Brake lights not lighting

I have a 2007 Chevy Colorado. The top middle brake light works correctly, but the two lower brake lights do not light up. We checked the bulbs and they are not burnt out, they just don't light up when the brakes are on. Does the brake light switch need to be replaced or is something different wrong? Thanks.

A: Hello there, a few common faults will cause...

Hello there, a few common faults will cause your 2007 Chevrolet Colorado to have brake lights that do not illuminate. In many cases the bulbs are the most common failure, these bulbs are dual filament and are responsible for the taillight, and the brighter brake lights that are seen when the brake pedal is pushed. If both elements of the bulbs are working properly then other common faults are the brake switch, bulb assemblies, wiring faults, or a burned out fuse. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your brake light issues and make any repairs required to resolve them.