Q: Grinding noise in the front right of the vehicle.

asked by on December 09, 2016

I have a 2005 Chevy Blazer Zr2. It runs great, but when I'm driving at high speeds(happens the most around 70mph) and go a long distance(around 20 mins or so I would say), sometimes when I take cruise control off or go to slow down I will hear a really loud grinding noise, and its not low pitch really. It sounds like it is coming from the front right of the car right now. I don't know what it is. It varies with speed and the pitch changes with speed as well. I know blazers normally are bad with wheel bearings, but we just changed those like 10,000 miles ago... so I didn't think that's what it could be but I don't know. It only does it when it wants to, maybe every other drive or something. And once it does it once on a drive home it will keep doing it even at like 40 or 50 mph then. The one day it was doing it going down the highway and I put the vehicle in neutral and put it in 4-wheel drive and I heard a clunk and then the sound stopped.

Hi there:

In most cases, when the wheel bearings go bad, they begin to make the grinding noise on turns, and is progressive as speed increases. This might be an issue with an inner axle (if you’re Blazer if 4WD) or perhaps a warped brake rotor; maybe even harmonics from a wheel weight. The best way to diagnose this sound is to have a professional mechanic complete a car is making a noise inspection.

Hello, when replacing front hub bearings there is a specific torque that needs to be set on the nut from the half shaft to the bearing. If this is not done correctly it can create premature failure of the bearing. This vehicle has a front differential that can create this type of rotating noise. The front differential uses a control system that can fail, to keep the front differential engaged when in four-wheel drive (4WD). The 4WD system needs to be inspected. It would be best to have a certified mechanic look at the vehicle and determine exactly what is going on. They should have the specialty tools and techniques to pinpoint exactly where the problem is located. Please look at this web site for more information and service options. driveline noise