Q: 2001 cavalier sputtering while driving.

While driving the car engine is spitting and sputtering, it seems to be getting worse. While parked I can rev it and no sputtering, high rev also no sputtering. But once in drive it spits and sputters frequently while driving. Its been happening for over 2-3 weeks now, and getting worse. It actually stalled during a turn and I had to pull over. Last week I put 3/4 bottle of water remove in the tank and 3/4 bottle injector cleaner before the fill up, and that seemed to have worked for a few days (less then a week). Now it is doing it again, and more often. When its having a hard time sputtering the trac off light also comes on, it doesnt matter if dry roads or not, I know this is a traction issue, but it only does it when its sputtering. Any idea on an exact cause so I dont have to spend a small fortune replacing parts that are still good?

Hi there. Try pumping out all of the fuel from the fuel tank and filling the tank up with fresh fuel. If the water remover was put in the tank and the vehicle started to run a little better, then there could be more water in the fuel and the fuel lines. Also, check to see if the timing belt or chain is loose on the engine causing the camshaft to wander a little. Replace the timing chain or belt and tensioner if the camshaft is wandering. If you need further assistance with your engine sputtering, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.