Q: Engine cranks, ignition is slow, and car won't start

asked by on July 07, 2016

For the past 4 weeks (and becoming more and more frequent), when I first try to start my car in the mornings or after work at the end of the day (any time the car has been sitting for hours), the engine won’t start. This is a random problem and doesn’t happen all the time. This is what happens: Everything seems normal and the engine cranks but doesn’t fire up. The ignition sound it makes seems normal, except that it sounds much slower than usual and takes twice as long. Then, it suddenly stops. Once when it happened at night, the lights went dim. There are no warning lights. I cleaned the battery terminals for corrosion and I also cleaned the distribution caps. What is your advice to fix these problems?

It sounds to me like you have an issue with your battery or your starter. The battery could be weak or bad, unable to supply the sufficient voltage when needed to start the vehicle. The starter could also be bad and is drawing improper voltage and/or the starter can not turn it’s gear to crank the vehicle.

I suggest that you have the starter and the battery checked by a technician. Since your car won’t start, one great way to do this is through a mobile mechanic company, such as YourMechanic. They will send a technician to the vehicles location to diagnose your starting issue and repair it.