Q: Check engine light on, power loss in fourth gear

asked by on July 29, 2016

The check engine light randomly comes on in my car. I went to the dealer's several times but they couldn't diagnose the problem as there was no check engine light on at that time. It went on when I took the car back though. They only replaced the sparkplugs. But, the other day, it got even worse. While I was driving and put it in fourth gear, there was a complete power loss. I applied the gas pedal, but there wasn't any power. The engine was still running. I let it sit for a while, then restarted it and it ran well for a while but lost power yet again. The dashboard doesn't show any lights now. What could be wrong?

Many different faults can be attributed to your 2008 Chevrolet Aveo5’s loss of power. In cases where the Check Engine Light has not set a hard code, it can be a bit harder to pinpoint the issue.

If the spark plugs were replaced when the Check Engine Light was able to be read, I can only guess that the code was for a misfire without knowing the actual code. The most likely causes of a loss of power would be a misfire, spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, oxygen sensor, MAF sensor or vacuum leak. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the vehicle’s loss of power and perform any repairs required.