Q: Check engine light came on after getting new head gasket?

asked by on July 23, 2017

My cars check engine light came on flashing and then wouldn't start, took it to the mechanic and they said it was the head gasket, they put a new one. Just got my car back yesterday and seems to be running fine, but on my way home just now the check engine light came on (not flashing). The gauge said the temperature was fine. I don't know much about cars so is there anything I can do to diagnose the problem? Any idea what it could be?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. It’s quite common for a check engine light to illuminate after major vehicle service has been completed. However, the hard part is knowing how to correctly diagnose what is causing this light without a professional digital scanner. Anytime a sensor detects any fault, the it will store an error code in the ECU and illuminate the check engine light. To ensure your vehicle is in good shape and that nothing was damaged, I would recommend having a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a check engine light inspection.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr