Q: Car overheating and shutting off

My car is overheating, losing power, and shutting off at stop lights. The battery light also came on.

Hello, since the car is overheating, it should not be driven to avoid any further damage to the engine. The first thing that comes to mind is the engine drive belt missing. With the belt missing, the coolant pump is not circulating and the alternator has no output, causing the Battery Light to come on. Just take a look at the front of the engine and see if the belt is there. If the belt is present then you you have separate issues with the cooling system and charging system. If you want to have this looked at by a professional, a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your overheating issue and Battery Light to determine what repairs are needed.