Q: Key cannot turn all the way, car cannot be started - 1993 Mercedes-Benz 300SE

The other day after driving the car, I parked it and let it sit for a short while. When I came back and put the key in the ignition, it wouldn't turn all the way as it should so as to start the car. The electrical components are working properly. There is no security light on. I tried moving the steering wheel and it would move but only a little. I cleaned the key before trying again. I used WD40 to spray it but it didn't help. This vehicle has no key fob. Why did this happen? Is there some kind of switch I don't know about? How do I fix this?

Hello. I would first check and see if the shifter is moving correctly. If it is not going fully into park then this will occur. If it is, then the ignition switch may be binding. I would move the shifter around and try turning the key. If it turns then the shifter and cable will need to be checked. If you want to have this checked, consider a certified technician from YourMechanic, who can come to your home or office to diagnose the ignition system issue and repair this.

3. Key cannot turn all the way, car cannot be started - 1993 Mercedes-Benz 300SE