Q: At interstate speeds van sways; has difficult steering & control

Everything is fine with my van when I'm driving in town. However, when on the interstate at higher speeds over 50 mph, my van starts to sway and it is difficult to steer and control. This results in over-correcting, which could lead to very dangerous situations. Plus, when the wind is 10+ mph, it can be terrifying to drive/ride in this van! When I was passing a truck at 65 mph, I was trying to pull back into the lane and there was No steering control. It was as if the van was floating on air. Fortunately, the control finally came back. To let you know that I'm not a novice at driving vans, I have done so for over 25 years. I would never pull a load behind this van! Can you tell me what will correct and solve this steering and swaying?

Losing the ability to control the van in low wind speeds is an abnormal issue. There are a few faults that could cause this issue though. The most common would be low tire pressure, failing suspension component, or a faulty tire. If you want to have this looked at in person, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your wheels, suspension, and steering and let you know what should be done.

3. At interstate speeds van sways; has difficult steering & control