Q: I have a 2002 Ford Escape 3.0L V-6. I just bought this vehicle a few weeks ago and i do not know what oil they have ran in it, 5w-

asked by on March 27, 2017

Low oil pressure and fuel cap light will not go off after hundreda of mile driving on several tanks and new fuel cap

Change Oil and Filter $92.43 - $157.60 Get a Quote
Warning Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Your vehicle requires 5W-20 engine oil. If you suspect that the wrong viscosity is currently in use, YourMechanic can [change the oil and filter]https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/change-oil-and-filter). Oil pressure can be verified using an external gauge. If the measured oil pressure does meet factory specifications (published in the Factory Service Manual), that means there is a problem with the oil pressure sending unit or the warning light circuit. On the other hand, if the pressure is in fact too low, the usual causes are a faulty oil pump and/or excessive clearance (wear) in the engine bearings.

The only way to be sure that a faulty gas cap is not the cause of the gas cap warning light is to install a Ford OEM, dealer supplied cap. So-called "aftermarket caps" are not recommended especially when you are trying to diagnose an EVAP system problem. If you have installed a new OEM cap and the warning light persists, that means there is a leak elsewhere in the EVAP system which leak can be found using a smoke machine. To obtain a diagnostic of both the oil pressure and fuel cap warning light issues, please request a warning light diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get these issues resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.