Q: Why do I constantly need to replace the brake rotors and brake pads?

Hi, I have had my car for 3 years, and I am told to replace my rotors again for the 2nd time. Why do I need to replace my rotors and not just my breakpads? My rotors were replaced 1 year ago.

Hi there. That’s a really good question. What reason were you given that the rotors need replacing? What symptoms are you experiencing? If you have a brake vibration, the rotors should have enough thickness after a year, unless you drive 80k miles a year, to be resurfaced to correct the vibration. What is the quality of the parts being used? There are a lot of unknowns here that a qualified technician could answer.

Rotor measurements should be provided and the minimum specification should also be known to be sure the rotors can be resurfaced. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a brake safety inspection and can advise you on proper repairs for your brake system.

• Why do I constantly need to replace the brake rotors and brake pads?