Q: Need help diagnosing steering problem after hitting a curb.

I hit a curb going about 20 mph and damaged my right tire. I had to replace the tire but there was only minimal scraping to the rim. I had the new tire replaced and the wheel re-balanced. Now I am finding that my steering wheel is just slightly off. When I hold it where it should be going "straight", it drives slightly to the left. It is so minimal, you can hardly notice it. Also, when I drive 55-66 mph the vehicle makes a humming noise. I am planning on going for a wheel alignment, but I am wondering what kind of additional damage I might foresee and what kind of cost might be associated? Does it sound like something a simple alignment can resolve, or am looking at a bigger problem? Thank you for your help!

It sounds as though you may have bent a tie rod. The tie rods are the links between the steering and the wheels, and they are normally pretty tough, but a good solid whack can bend them. Additionally, the new presence of a hum makes me think that you might have damaged a wheel bearing when you struck the curb. I suggest you contact Your Mechanic and have a technician do a front end inspection before doing the alignment. Your Mechanic can recommend which pieces need to be replaced so that the alignment can be accurate and long lasting.

3. Need help diagnosing steering problem after hitting a curb.